Many times I get the question about what options to eat as someone who is part of the fit-fam movement. This question is interesting to me all the time because it sounds more like a diet question than someone who wants to change their lifestyle. Changing your lifestyle involves sacrifices but it doesn’t have to feel like punishment. As long as great flavours are present and you use the right formula, it should make the switch to a healthier more sustainable lifestyle more bearable.
The basic formula for a fit-fam lifestyle involves more protein and vegetables and minimal carbohydrates. I would never advice taking carbohydrates completely out of your diet, you just need to choose your carbohydrates wisely. Something as simple as honey beans which you can purchase on the Food trolley website, is both protein and carbohydrates so choosing your carbs wisely is key.
In the recipe below, I used potatoes for my carbohydrates but one or two little pieces should be fine especially if you are at the beginning of your fit fam journey. I also find that making my food very spicy allows me drink a lot of water and I don’t eat as much food. Making my food tasty is very key, I use a number of fresh herbs as well as interesting spices to enhance the taste of the meal. If your meal is not tasty, be rest assured you would not eat it. Enjoy this simple recipe of pan seared chicken and potatoes.
1 pound Chicken Breast
2-3 Small Potatoes
A handful of Green Beans
1 Red Bell Pepper
A handful of Cherry Tomatoes (Optional)
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
4 scotch bonnet peppers
1/2 bulb of Onions
1 Seasoning cube
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
A pinch of Oregano
1 teaspoon melted butter
- Wash and season chicken breast with blended scotch bonnet pepper, black and white pepper, onions, garlic, ginger, parsley and seasoning cube and allow to marinate for 1-2 hours.
- In a separate pot, boil your potatoes till soft and set aside.
- Heat up your olive oil in a pan, and on medium heat, pan sear the chicken breast till brown on both sides. Reduce the heat and add the rest of the liquid from the marinade and allow to cook on very low heat. Keep adding 1/4 cup of water till chicken is soft.
- When chicken is soft, increase the heat and add the bell pepper, green beans and cherry tomatoes and pan fry for about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the melted butter, potatoes and oregano in a separate pan, and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Serve chicken breast with the potatoes hot.