One thing I love about Efo riro is its versatility. You can eat it with any swallow of your choice including rice. My cousin even eats hers with bread. Efo riro meaning “stirred vegetables” is a popular soup in Nigeria. This highly nutritious soup is made with spinach, green amaranth or pumpkin, pepper, meat, palm oil and other ingredients. This soup has even gone beyond the frontiers of Nigeria as it is well known in other parts of the world.
Efo riro is quite easy to prepare. For me, I prefer beef and other assorted meats like shaki and ponmo to fish, but that’s just me. Fish, especially dried fish also tastes wonderful in this soup.
So let’s get started.
- Shredded Pumpkin/ Spinach leaves (4 cups)
- Red Pepper (7 medium size)
- Tomato (4 medium size)
- Onion (1 medium-sized bulb)
- Beef/Fish: (1/2 kilo)
- Kpomo (4 pieces)
- Shaki (4 pieces)
- Grounded Crayfish (2 tablespoonful)
- Palm oil (3/4 cup)
- Locust beans (1 table spoonful)
- Maggi/Knorr cube (2)
- Salt to taste
- Season the beef/shaki and boil till tender. Set aside.
- Blend the pepper, tomatoes and onion till smooth.
- Pour the palm oil into a pot and allow to heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the pepper and stir.
- Add the beef, shaki, kpomo, crayfish and locust beans.
- Season with Maggi/Knorr cubes and stir.
- Cover the pot and let the ingredients simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Now, add the leaves and leave pot uncovered.
- Add salt to taste.
- And our Efo riro is ready.
Did you know you can get all your ingredients for making a sumptuous Efo riro at a go on Food Trolley with the Efo riro bundle option? Just visit www.foodtrolley.com and choose the efo riro bundle option.