Garden egg sauce is simply fried pepper sauce and garden egg. It is usually eaten with boiled yam though many people believe it’s also perfect with rice.
One of the healthiest foods in the world, garden egg has several health benefits which include preventing the spread of cancer cells, weight management, preventing liver disorder, controlling blood sugar etc. Because this vegetable is packed with minerals, vitamins and several other nutrients, it is ideal for pregnant women.
Garden egg sauce is best enjoyed when palm oil is used to prepare it. I mean, you can hardly deny the chemistry between yam and palm oil. In fact, the perfect sauce for me is the one with plenty oil.
So let’s get started.
- 6 white/green garden eggs
- 1 red bell pepper (Tatashe)
- 7 scotch bonnet (Ata rodo)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 1 cup palm oil
- Dried fish (cleaned)
- 1 seasoning cube
- Salt to taste
- Blend the pepper to a rough texture.
- Remove the stalk and boil the garden eggs till they are soft enough to mash.
- Drain, peel the outer layer and mash.
- Pour the palm oil in a frying pan, add the sliced onion and fry on medium heat .
- Add the pepper, seasoning, salt, dried fish and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Now, add the garden eggs and continue stirring for another 3 minutes.